Hi everybody!

On October 17, 2010 05:26:27 am Florian Achleitner wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> On So, 2010-10-17 at 08:50 +0200, Kornel Benko wrote:
> > Am Sonntag 17 Oktober 2010 schrieb Yuval Levy:
> > > 2. dpkg was tolerant of this in the past.  Now it throws an error if a
> > > folder  does not exist / is not created properly.  A well crafted deb
> > > package creates folders properly.
> >
> > This is to be corrected.
> > Lately I got a mail from Marijn Ros (mar...@mad.scientist.com). As it
> > turned out, the cmake 2.8.2 is broken, not dpkg. The upcoming version
> > 2.8.3 will be corrected.
> > In the deb-package there is a tar-file
> >
> >     data.tar.gz
> >
> > which lacks the directory information. I never before have seen such a
> > tar-file. Certainly not created with tar-command.
>
> I think thats the point!

Thanks, Bob, Kornel, Florian for explaining the detail of how things work.  I
stand indeed corrected in my assumption that the change was with dpkg, however
I never stated that dpkg is broken - only that it is less tolerant of the
broken deb packages produced by CMake.

Thanks also to Marijn for the workaround posted to the wiki page.

Even without this latest extra CMake bug, the situation (bad CMake-generated
deb) still stands and so does my suggested solution:  to build and distribute
proper deb packages using a PPA [0], uploading a source package [1] and
letting the Ubuntu/Canonical infrastructure do the building, making sure that
the package complies with the proper specifications [2].

The Hugin PPA [3] can use an update.  The packages contributed by Philipp
Seidel about six months ago are 2010.0.0 and for Karmic and Lucid only.  Does
any of the experienced deb packagers (Andreas?) have source packages available
that can be fed to Launchpad?

This is still unchartered territory for me and I don't trust myself doing it.
I barely started reading the documentation about deb packaging and honestly I
have little interest in the area of packaging and distribution.  However  I
think it would be nice to provide 'buntu users with an up to date PPA so that
all they have to do to get our latest release is

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hugin/hugin-builds
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install hugin enblend autopano-sift-c panini

Yuv

[0] https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
[1] https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/Uploading
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete