On Thu 30-Dec-2010 at 16:38 +0100, Rogier Wolff wrote:

But among the hundreds or thousands of people for whom it just works, there will always be a few who happen to have the corner-cases that triggers the problems with optimization. Those file bug reports. The people who just stitch their project won't file bug reports.

Yes I think there are people who shoot some photos on holiday, install Hugin when they get home, and get a reasonable stitch without problems.

We should want this experience to be normal, otherwise we lose new users (and future developers) at the first hurdle. Most people will give up if the first experience is a bad one.

Hugin is also the de-facto panorama stitcher on Linux. If Hugin was purely for experts then an Open Source stitcher for holiday photos would need to be created - This would have to have practically all the functionality of Hugin (except the XYZ mosaic stuff, HDR and exposure fusion, and some of the more obscure projections).

--
Bruno