On 9 Jan., 23:08, Bruno Postle <br...@postle.net> wrote:

> This hasn't happened to me since Hugin starting using the pairwise
> optimisation (a long time ago), manually arranging photos to give
> the optimiser a head start is basically a waste of time.

I agree. Even if the process dosn't succeed 100%, there's nothing
stopping one from manually correcting errors in the automatic
placement: select offending image, delete it's control points, move it
around to your heart's content.

> (except when using the XYZ mosaic mode, this seems to be heavily
> dependent on initial position, but I suspect this is a bug)

What seems to work for me here is to start out only optimizing X and
Y. With translation activated there aremore degrees of freedom. So you
have to limit them initially until you have a position from where you
can get into the right trough.

Kay