Hi Jeffrey

What happens if you actually _do_ the photometric optimization?
And on what OS/Hugin version did you get these results with?
I won't have much time for following this issue for the next couple of
days, but if this is a pressing  mater for you, please put your images
(and the pto file) online somewhere, an I will have a look.

Regards

Stefan Peter