NO! That's not what is happening for me.

For me, what seems to be happening is that the EV is getting applied to each
photo, so a bright photo becomes even more bright. I have to go back and
manually assign EV=1 to all images.

Yes, I know I can correct for exposure etc. But I don't want to do that. I
only want to align images. nothing else! And I don't want to have to
manually fix something like this.

I can upload another example, with images from another camera. same thing.

Does anyone know what might be going on?

thanks,
Jeffrey