Hi,

Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Don't use stacks with hand-held images. Hugin believes that
> images in a stack are pre-aligned perfectly.

Explicit stacks do help with some other things though
(cpfind+align_images, whole-stack masking etc.)

Just remember to uncheck the "link" checkbox in the images tab for all
the stacks (it's in the image orientation section).  This allows
images to be aligned within a stack, at least in angular space.
(There seems to be a bug with XYZ alignment not being properly
unlinked even though the optimizer assumes it is, but I haven't
investigated that yet to report it, and XYZ isn't an issue for wide
panoramas anyway.  XYZ does help a little for parallax on flat-ish
ground with less than 180deg though, so in that case I unstack the
images after creating control points.)

My method (working hand-held) is to take the photos with the camera
settings basically as you do.  Then in Hugin 2010.04:
1) Set up *unlinked* stacks.
2) Mask moving people etc.
3) Temporarily mask out any obviously parallaxed foreground.
(Assuming that you prefer the background to be properly aligned.)
4) Run "cpfind (multirow/stacked)" on all.  As far as I can tell this
uses align_image_stack within stacks and normal cpfind between stacks.
 Cpfind seems to be aware of the masks, but align_image_stack isn't -
deal with that in step 5.

I then remove bad control points:
5) Edit->Remove control points in masks - this eliminates the masked
out foreground and moving objects.  Remove the temporary foreground
masks now.
6) Run Celeste if there are clouds.
7) "Clean control points" button to remove outliers.
8) Edit->Fine tune, then remove points with <0.8 correlation.  <0.9
works well if you only use align_image_stack, but cpfind creates lots
of points with lower correlations for me.
9) During optimizing, I remove control points in stages between
rerunning the optimizer, based on their mismatch distance (e.g. >10,
>5, >2, >1).  Sometimes I need to manually add points between stacks.
After the initial positions-only optimization and straightening and
centring the preview, I use "calculate optimal size" in the Stitcher
tab so that the pixel mismatches are accurate for successive
optimization passes.

For stages 8 and 9 use "View->Control point table" to select and
remove points with low correlation and high pixel mismatch.

Then I mask lens flares etc., do photometric optimization and blending
as described.  If the foreground looks too bad I crop it out.

It's a bit overly complex, but for hand-held panoramas taken in the
wind at the top of a mountain, computers just aren't yet clever enough
to automate the process fully...  I too welcome any suggestions of
course, but this method at least is working well for me.

Gareth