On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 16:55, Gareth Jones <gareth.k.jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My method (working hand-held) is to take the photos with the camera
> settings basically as you do.  Then in Hugin 2010.04:
> 1) Set up *unlinked* stacks.
> 2) Mask moving people etc.
> 3) Temporarily mask out any obviously parallaxed foreground.
> (Assuming that you prefer the background to be properly aligned.)
> 4) Run "cpfind (multirow/stacked)" on all.  As far as I can tell this
> uses align_image_stack within stacks and normal cpfind between stacks.
>  Cpfind seems to be aware of the masks, but align_image_stack isn't -
> deal with that in step 5.
>
> I then remove bad control points:
> 5) Edit->Remove control points in masks - this eliminates the masked
> out foreground and moving objects.  Remove the temporary foreground
> masks now.
> 6) Run Celeste if there are clouds.
> 7) "Clean control points" button to remove outliers.
> 8) Edit->Fine tune, then remove points with <0.8 correlation.  <0.9
> works well if you only use align_image_stack, but cpfind creates lots
> of points with lower correlations for me.
> 9) During optimizing, I remove control points in stages between
> rerunning the optimizer, based on their mismatch distance (e.g. >10,
>>5, >2, >1).  Sometimes I need to manually add points between stacks.
> After the initial positions-only optimization and straightening and
> centring the preview, I use "calculate optimal size" in the Stitcher
> tab so that the pixel mismatches are accurate for successive
> optimization passes.
>
> For stages 8 and 9 use "View->Control point table" to select and
> remove points with low correlation and high pixel mismatch.
>
> Then I mask lens flares etc., do photometric optimization and blending
> as described.  If the foreground looks too bad I crop it out.

Thanks for this very detailed explanation. It looks like a promising
method. I have a few further questions though:

- first, on my machine (developer preview of Hugin built on Jan 23rd
and the control point detection settings you set me) the distance
column in the control points table always contains distances (some
numbers >1) while, after fine tuning, it is supposed to contain
correlation coefficients (should always be <1). How do you select
points by correlation in steps 8 and by distance in step 9, since the
distance column should only contain one of those two? Can you switch
between the two?

- you say that you first do a position only optimisation, then remove
problematic points and then do further optimisations. These are still
position only right?

- it seems the align button in the assistant tab does more than
position optimize + photometric optimization. Indeed, If I create the
control points, then optimize them in the Optimizer tab and finally do
photometric optimization in the exposure tab, the assistant still says
"Images or control points have changed, new alignment is needed". What
is missing? What else does it do?

- when performing photometric optimisation, I need to use HDR, fixed
exposure to avoid having hugin correct the under and over exposed
images, right?

Thanks in advance for the help. Sincerely,

JiHO
---
http://maururu.net