On May 23, 2011 04:30:27 PM Bruno Postle wrote:
> I've often thought that the way to do a camera-on-a-car panorama rig
> is to space the cameras out in a line instead of trying (and
> failing) to put them all in the same place.  Then when you are
> driving around you shoot a panorama by firing the shutters in
> sequence such that each photo is taken from exactly the same
> location.

if you have not done it yet, you should patent this idea ;-)

although in practical term it is a challenge to measure speed and synchronize
time to trigger each camera's shutter precisely at the right moment.

> The result would be zero parallax errors, but there would
> be new errors with peoples and moving objects.

There is enough space to fit six cameras (rather than four) on the roof of a
car, which should give enough leeway to generate sufficient overlap to cover
for most moving objects.  Then the problem is determining the optimal seam
lines...

> You would need some
> way to synchronise the shutters and the speed of the car, but there
> are no doubt plenty of ways of doing this.

maybe not a timer / spedomeeter then.  if a helper vehicle could stand still
for the time that the 4-6 cameras pass through the NPP, it could beam a
synchronizing laser that would trigger each camera when it is on the right
spot.  So this helper vehicle would move forward to beam the laser for the
next shooting position, stop, wait for all cameras on the camera vehicle to
cross the beam, then move on to the next position and repeat.

Yuv