On May 30, 2011 11:45:19 AM T. Modes wrote:
> > 1) STRINGS
> >
> > Release branches are string-frozen.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > 2) API/HEADERS
> >
> > Release branches are header-frozen to prevent a change in signature and
> > potential breakage of the scripting wrapper API.  An exception may be
> > requested if the underlying motive is important enough.  The request must
> > receive the support of a significant majority of developers (coders and
> > scripters) to be granted.  Silence is interpreted as supportive of the
> > request.
>
> Here I'm not fully agree. To fix some errors/bugs it may be necessary
> to patch also header files. There are some changes to header files
> possible which does not break the scripting, e.g. add new variables/
> functions. Also it is possible the extend the functions variable list
> (e.g. by using default values for the new values) without breaking the
> scripting.
> So for me this formulation is too strict.
> So I would propose a weaker formulation: Release branches are frozen
> regarding classes/function/namespace names and functions parameters.

agree with the weaker formulation.

The complete proposed rule after rephrasing will read:

--- START ---
Release branches are frozen regarding classes/function/namespace names and
functions parameters.  An exception may be requested if the underlying motive
is important enough.  The request must receive the support of a significant
majority of developers (coders and scripters) to be granted.  Silence is
interpreted as supportive of the request.

the idea of the exception request is that no rule shall be absolute, even when
carefully formulated.  Contributors judgment (in the form of exceptions
granted by consensus) in specific situations shall always prevail over general
rules that were not drafted with all possible and impossible situations in
mind.

Yuv