Thanks Bruno,
Knowing about the ability to zoom in the mask tab makes many things
better (I hope the mask editing features can be worked out for the Mac
version soon.)
In light of people's suggestions I have done some reading of the
documentation and experimentation. But I think I'm missing some
important things.

On Nov 4, 4:11 pm, Bruno Postle <br...@postle.net> wrote:
> The primary tool is the Mask tab in Hugin.  You can render layers
> and try and blend them in an image editor but this is painful.

I thought blending and masking in an image editor would be easier, but
you are indeed correct. It is rather painful. Using layers and masks
with Panoramic images is a different and more complicated task than
with more typical images. The goals and task are such that it can get
challenging very quickly. It seems wise to do as much as possible in
Hugin.

>  . . . I prefer to use a photo multiple times in a Hugin project with
> different masking to patch up larger areas like skies and ground.

Hearing you say this makes me think I'm missing something big.
I tried to figure it out, but was not able to make headway. I have
always assumed, since it's possible to save the remapped image layers,
that there must be some way to use these files to output a panorama
without having to go through the whole cycle again. I assumed this was
probably only possible using the command line and that using this
technique would only come far down the road for me.
It sounds though, like you are running images through Hugin (or nona
or enblend) multiple times. Or else you are taking copies of images of
parts of images and inserting them into Hugin projects to use Hugin
(or nona or enblend)  as a large scale cloning tool.

what can I see/read that gives a good description of exactly how to do
this?