On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:29:23 -0800 (PST), kfj wrote:

> On 16 Nov., 09:25, JohnPW <johnpwatk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ha! Just as I expected someone with a good knowledge of the subject
>> has responded as I wrote this.
>> But I really think using a camera that can
>> take movies might be a good way to go (see below.) The idea being, the
>> more images you capture, the less of each one you use. Ideally you
>> would only end up using the very center most part of each image. Being
>> handy with scripting would help a lot here (I am definitely not!)
>
> This is really the idea of the line camera:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_line_camera
>
> Just a wild idea here: if I'm not mistaken, there are shutters which
> are made of a black piece of material with a slit, and the material is
> moved so that the slit moves over the sensor - okay, I checked myself,
> they are called focal plain shutters:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_plane_shutter

Almost all modern consumer and prosumer level cameras (and all of the
mainstream SLR systems) use focal plane shutters.  The alternative is
a leaf shutter, which needs to be built into the lens.  That was
common on rangefinder cameras, and many medium format and all large
format cameras use leaf shutters in the lens.

> now if you'd use such a device in a moving camera so that the slit was
> small, but the exposure was long (I'm not sure this can be done with
> these shutter as they come) you might end up with an image similar to
> what you'd get from a line camera. You might have to rotate the camera
> at the same time, or you might use a special lens that only shows a
> vertical strip anyway (cylindrical, I'd imagine?).

You can't do that with any focal plane shutter I'm aware of.  The
curtains of the shutter move at a fixed (fast) speed.  Sometimes you
can see the effect of the moving shutter, e. g. when photographing a
propeller-driven aircraft.