I'm thinking this might be a problem of use/understanding/interface
metaphone. Hugin harnesses some very powerful and complex tools and
leaves a lot of room for user choices and modification so as to be
most flexible for any need. Because of this it can be rather hard to
learn to use (it gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself !) Also it
is probably most robust for normal lenses (but also supports more
exotic but useful lenses as well.) All I use is normal lenses and I
attest that it works extremely well (as I'm sure others would too.)
Perhaps start with posting an explicit description and/or image sample
or screen shot to illustrate what problems you're having?

--John