In fact you can see the equirectangular image with a player directly. I
know some available for that. I usually like
Panini<http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvqt/>and DevalVR. Panini runs
on many operating systems and can load more
different formats than DevalVR. If you want I have it compiled for windows
and FreeBSD. Here is a big list:

http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_Viewers

You probably will want a stand alone one at this time. Next maybe you will
want some to publish your work at the internet. For that in general I like
to use www.360cities.net or, to use on your own site, Salado
Player<http://panozona.com/wiki/SaladoPlayer:Quick_start>or krpano or
Pano2VR. Those are the ones I know, but probably there are
much others. Salado Player is the free one on this list.

You can also see this panorama player
comparison<http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/comparisons/>for an
online comparison of online players.

Cheers,