Hmm, I'd think that moving the camera on a tripod would be easier than moving the painting, when it comes to keeping the camera the same distance from the painting.

Once you position the camera, you might drop a plumb line from bottom center of tripod, let it hang straight, mark the distance of that point from the painting, then mark that point. Then measure and mark another other point the same distance from the painting but out from the other half of the painting. Then draw a line between the two points and you have a line to center the tripod on when you move it left/right.

You can minimize the number of tripod moves by shooting top left, bottom left, bottom right, top right. Then you only have to raise or lower the camera on the tripod. But you knew that already.

Don't forget vignetting.