Hello Roger,

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 04:32:37 +1100, <ved...@gmail.com> wrote:

Terry,

I assume that the original image is a true rectangle and you want to
produce an exact reproduction at whatever scale your resolution provides.
That is, you want your stitched end-result also to be an exact rectangle:
there should be no, as you put it, "perspective effects"

Isn’t the simplest way to achieve that within Hugin not to rely so much on precise camera or image positioning and/or direction but rather on the use of horizontal and vertical control points (and of course a rectangular
projection). I’ve found it remarkably successful to place h and v control
points on each individual constituent image, using any suitable rectangular bounding frame that might be included in the original image. Failing that one can use the edges of the original image, making sure that enough of the surrounding background is included to guarantee that they show. But you’d want to do that anyway to be sure that all the original image is included. I rely on the translation parameters X and Y; others may prefer to rely on varying d and e per image.

You are quite right, and what you describe is what I plan to do, but given that the whole business of shooting the painting isn't something that can easily repeated at a later date I prefer to minimise these effects.

I have a suspicion, though I’ve not tried any systematic comparisons, that it is better to have enough images to ensure that the edges of the original image don’t end up too close to the edges of the constituent images. But
maybe your camera gives an image of sufficient quality throughout for you
not to have to worry.

I really don't know if this will be an issue. My initial thoughts on the shooting pattern do have edges of my images close to the edge of the painting. I'll have a look at another pattern to avoid this, and maybe we can shoot both patterns and compare the results.

Thanks for your thoughts

--
Regards,
Terry Duell