My experience with this kind of thing is to maximize the distance to the
object using a longer lens when possible which reduces the angles and
amount of variation from image to image which in the end tends to overcome
the variation of handheld image capture.  For example, can you put the maps
on a floor, and stand on a chair?  That would increase the distance from
camera to object from 2 feet to 8 feet.  Is there a balcony in the room
that you could shoot down to a table on the lower level?   Now we're
talking 15 feet or more.  Would they let you put the camera on a monopole
and hold it above your head to shoot down to the table?  That might get you
4 to 6 feet away.  Even if all this were not permissible, maybe you could
shoot tethered, and just hold the camera above your head looking at the
computer screen to frame the shot.  If you can shoot the map in two images,
then you can probably hold the camera in place close enough to use the
bracket feature to get 3-9 shots from each position with one shutter press.
 Chances of getting usable images when shooting handheld this way increase
as others have pointed out.

Also any relief change (from a flat plane) will lead to parallax issues.
 Getting the maps to lay flat as possible is more critical the closer you
are to the maps.  Do they have a display (drafting) case or table, or other
table large that has a tilting top which will tilt 45 degrees?  This would
allow you to stand back from the maps far enough to shoot handheld.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/19de5c19-a669-43f1-b114-cc343845f6c1%40googlegroups.com.