On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 10:39:36 AM UTC-5 johnfi...@gmail.com
wrote:

I ran make -j16
Meanwhile I ran system monitor to see that about half my cpu capacity was
in use

Then my system crashed.  Seemed to be a display driver crash.  Maybe there
is some problem in building hugin with j16, but more likely it is a display
driver bug.

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 1:27:25 PM UTC-5 bruno...@gmail.com wrote:

> There is definitely something wrong with your graphics setup. The
> standard nouveau driver might not have all the top features, but in my
> experience it is very stable. You shouldn't expect a problem in Hugin
> to crash the whole system like this.

Just wanted to mention the above crash was something that only happens with
Plasma System Monitor running.  Using KSysGuard instead of  Plasma System
Monitor, I get zero such problems (zero using Nvidia driver, lots of
problems using nouveau driver).
So definitely nothing wrong with the hugin build (which builds even faster
at -j32 than at -j16).  Maybe there is still some problem related to the
ancient Nvidia card.  But I have seen symptoms of that problem only in two
places: recovery from sleep (I no longer use sleep for that reason) and
Plasma System Monitor (I no longer use it for that reason).

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to debug a debug build of hugin.  I
still want to know why magnification to over 2**27 pixels breaks the
control panel dialog and indirect evidence is pointing me into the pixmap
object wrapped inside the wxBitmap object.  From the wxBitmap source code I
can't even figure out what object that pixmap even is, much less look into
its source code.

Long ago, I gave up trying to learn how to use gdb (but I might need to
reverse that decision for this).  I'm used to debugging with CodeBlocks
(which uses gdb under the hood, but hides that from me).  I knew in Windows
how to get CodeBlocks to debug something that wasn't built in CodeBlocks
and for this, I learned the different way to make that work in Linux.
Now CodeBlocks seems unable to understand the correspondence between binary
positions and source code positions (likely because gdb is failing to do
that) so it can't open the source code on break and breakpoints set in
source code don't work.  The usual causes for that problem don't apply, so
solutions I know in CodeBlocks from past projects, don't work.  So I'm at a
dead end with CodeBlocks debugger.  Maybe there is more flexibility in gdb
itself.