On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 11:31:43 AM UTC-5 Luís Henrique Camargo
Quiroz wrote:

>      What about keeping the views at 200% and just the magnifier (or a
> bigger one) at the intended 400 and 800%? So the left and right views would
> show a bigger field of view.

I think what I plan to do will fit your needs.  I still want 400% and 800%
as choices in the menu for overall zoom.  You won't need to use them.

Currently (without any of my changes), the size and zoom level of the
magnifier itself are set by registry settings in Windows and by ?? in
Linux.  I forget what the default was for that zoom, but it was at least
400%.  I want to make the size of the magnifier user settable without
regedit and I want to change the setting logic for the magnifier's own zoom
level in addition to making that setting user settable without regedit.

I think the magnifier's own zoom should be set as both a minimum and a
minimum relative to overall zoom (so it gets the larger of the two).  So
you might select a magnifier zoom with its minimum at 400% and its relative
minimum at 800%, in which case at overall zoom 50% or lower, the magnifier
would be 400%, while at 100% or higher, the magnifier would be at 8 times
the main zoom.  Alternately, you could set the X% as the minimum (meaning
only) zoom for the magnifier and the special lowest (labeled "none" rather
than 100%) relative value.  So for overall zoom below X% the magnifier
would be X% and for overall zoom at or above X%, the magnifier would go
away (similar to the go away at 200% existing feature, but more sensible).

> If you find the right part of a scene on my 1280x800 screen a 8xmagnifier
might instead be a way to get completely lost

I recently switched the two portrait mode displays on my Fedora system from
1440x2560 each to 1620x2880 each.  So I have an overall 3240x2880 display.
So my needs are different from ordinary and I want Hugin to span the range
between my needs and others.  I want the overall zoom to be higher and I
need the magnifier itself to occupy more pixels of the physical screen.