Hi Bruno,

bruno...@gmail.com schrieb am Dienstag, 1. Februar 2022 um 23:20:14 UTC+1:

> On investigation, it looks like the magnifier doesn't appear when you
> click down on a control point, it only appears once you have dragged it
> away from the original location, then when you let go it vanishes after a
> couple of seconds.

This is not reproducible here. The magnifier appears when only clicking on
the cp.  (and also when dragging)

It seems to me that it would be useful to see the magnifier straight away
> on clicking, so you can decide *not* to move the point.

This works here: when clicking on the cp in the image and also when
selecting the cp in the list.

When click-dragging a point, the other viewpoint actually shows a magnifier
> for the previous control point, not the point you are actually moving, only
> on mouse-up is the current point selected and the correct magnifier shown.
> It only works correctly if you first click on the point, then click again
> to drag - this is surely a bug.

This was introduced when switching the selecting behaviour from mouse down
to the mouse up event done last week. Will have a look on this one.

When hovering/switching the mouse between viewports, the magnifier appears,
> but only in the other viewport, I'm not sure what benefit this has.

I see two main usage scenarios:
1) Move the cp -> here the magnifier would be useful
2) Select another cp -> here the magnifier could be in the way and the
magnifier could hide the other cp which the user wants to select. So hide
the magnifier (as currently done) when moving the mouse pointer above the
active control would be one way to handle this case (but it is not ideal
when only moving the cp I admit, it is a compromise for different use
cases).

Just some more remarks:
The logic implemented in the cp tab is already very complex to handle all
use case - there are many possible user interactions, many have been
improved in the last years. So doing changes based on a feeling can be very
dangerous and has the possibility to break other interactions with the tab.

Also in the last years with the improvements of the automatic cp detectors
I'm using the cp tab to less and less amount. So the necessarity for bigger
improvments is very low for me.

Thomas