Sorry if wasn't clear, I'm trying to find out what is available to my
process before it starts up threads.  If the user is jailed in a cgroup
(docker, slurm, other)  and the program tries to start 36 threads, when it
only has access to 4 cores, it's probably not a huge deal, but not
desirable.

I do allow the user to specify number of threads, but would like to
automate it for least astonishment.

Brock Palen
IG: brockpalen1984
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Director Advanced Research Computing - TS
bro...@umich.edu
(734)936-1985