Guy Streeter <guy.stree...@gmail.com> writes:

> My very basic understanding of cgroups is that it can be used to limit
> cpu processing time for a group, and to ensure fair distribution of
> processing time within the group, but I don't know of a way to use
> cgroups to limit the number of CPUs available to a cgroup.

See cpuset in cgroups(7).  Presumably you need to read any defined cpu
group as well as cpuset or hwloc binding info if you want to determine
your effective budget for starting threads.  I've forgotten the details
of the cgroups mess, with cgroups1 v. cgroups2, but all that's relevant
is that I think hwloc will report what you have in any defined cpuset.