As I said, cgroups doesn't limit the group to a number of cores, it
limits processing time, either as an absolute amount or as a share of
what is available.
A docker process can be restricted to a set of cores, but that is done
with cpu affinity, not cgroups.

You could try to figure out an equivalency. For instance if you are
using cpu.shares to limit the cgroups, then figure the ratio of a
cgroup's share to the shares of all the cgroups at that level, and
apply that ratio to the number of available cores to get an estimated
number of threads you should start.