Kaixo!

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:24:41AM +0700, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:32:15AM +0100, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
>
> > tis620.xxxx-x and tis620-x both use negative expand; that is needed for
> > combining characters.
>
> As stated above, I think the negative expand is forbidden for monospace
> or charcell fonts, according to X spec.

In practice that would mean that programs using monospace or charcell
are restricted to a given set of languages, excluding Thai, Arabic,
all indic languages, etc.

> So, rendering engines should
> also use special placement algorithm to combine the characters, like
> what has been done in xterm or emacs.

So, I think the idea of X spec charcell fonts is obsolete; it don't allow
good output for the user.
What is wanted is "unvariable column with" display, with a colum that can
be the result of one or more chars, either by combination of accent like
chars over a previously typed base char; or the replacement with a completly
different glyph (eg: ligatures).

> The exception is for proportional fonts, where negative expand is allowed.

Is that checked somewhere in X libs ? I often used proportional fonts
where only monospaced or charcell were expected and it worked (well, the
output may be very ugly, as the columns were all out of sync; but I never
got any error message or crashing nor anything like that)

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/            PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975