MK> <POLITICAL_CORRECTNESS OFF; DIPLOMATIC_SENSITIVITY OFF>

You asked for it ;-)

MK> In my honest opinion, RTL writing has no place in the computer
MK> age.

I think you're putting the issue in the wrong terms.

It is possible to write German, French or Polish using ASCII only;
heck, to a certain extent, al-`arabiyya aiDan.  The fact is, however,
that ASCII-only rendering of these languages is not culturally
acceptable, which is why we're interested in implementing support for
beautiful e-ogonek and ugly u-umlaut.

(Offtopic: who is responsible for the positioning of the ogonek in
a-ogonek in the XFree86 fonts?  Could you get it moved to a more
reasonable place?)

Like it or not, RtL is essential for acceptable support of a number of
important languages.  The question is not whether to implement RtL,
but at what level it should be implemented.

I agree with you, though, that nobody has presented a satisfactory
semantics for BIDI support at the terminal emulator level.  On the
other hand, there is a clear semantics for BIDI support at the curses
level.  The only conclusion is that the people interested in BIDI
should start with implementing it in ncurses, slang and Emacs; then
may (or may not) be the time to think about the ocmmand-line.

Regards,

                                        Juliusz