Hi,
        I do not exactly wish to do the entire handling of Indic script. We have
already modified a part of Xlib (the XDrawString and similar functions) to
handle input in a different manner when it is ISCII encoded (ISCII is an
8-bit encoding for Indic scripts and is compatible with ascii). This
modification is, at best, ad hoc.
        We wanted to introduce UTF-8 support for Indic scripts by
modifying lcUTF8.c and introducing appropriate converters in lcUniConv. These
converters convert UTF-8 encoded text into ISCII. The ISCII text is then
appropriately handled by the modified XDrawString.
        I introduced a new locale 'DEVANAGARI', and wrote a UTF to ISCII
converter for it. When XmbDrawString is called with UTF encoded DEVANAGARI text,
the conversion is working fine, but the correct font is not getting loaded. In
fact, XCreateFontSet returns DEVANAGARI as a missing charset inspite of the fact
the required font is installed in the system.
        Any suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks
Aravind