Hi

I don't wish to open the discussion again. Please don't make it such.

I'm sticking to facts

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Akber Choudhry wrote:

> Let's try to attempt to sum up the issues:

I believe that, as many people have pointed out, client-side bidi support
(X client or program vs. X server or terminal) can produce optimal
results, whereas server-side support is more complicated.

Client-side support currently exists in:

* CDE/Solaris
* QT3/KDE3 (KDE3 is currently in beta)
* gtk2/gnome2 (both currently in beta)

Since most of the newer programs will be built with either QT or GTK, it
seems to me that within about 6 monthes to a year toolkits with bidi
support will have a "domminant market share", and hence there is less
incentive to add server-side support.

At least this is my understanding.

> 1. Understanding the ECMA bidi specifications as Markus pointed out
> earlier. IMHO, both the X Server and Xterm (in its ability to interpret a
> distinct character stream) should be made bidi compliant.
> 2.A bidi solution for the X Server is in the works-based on Open/X CTL

Is that true?

> 3. Once (2) is complete, there will automatically be rudimentary support
> in Xterm for bidi.
> 4. It appears from the specifications that new escape codes might have to
> be added to allow bidi-aware applications to explicitly instruct Xterm on
> bidi requirements.This can then be turned on by an Xterm option, and as
> such not interfering with existing functions.
> 5. Initially, a very simple modification like (optionally) of reversing
> direction based on Unicode range will satisfy a very basic need like-
> for example - to be able to use Ar/Heb/Farsi/Urdu strings in grep - and
> should not hurt anyone else. It will only show the text in the proper way.
> May not full bidi - but a good start.

Basically: filter everything through "bidi algorithm" (not reversing!).

xterm/patch27 does this resonably well (although it segfaults once in a
while). I have yet to try mlterm, but I understand that it it also has at
least this basic functionality.

> Proposed course of action - let us phase it in in TWO phases -
> (1) rudimentary support - on which we might achieve a consensus now -
> basically displaying text the "right" way without any application or Xterm
> being bidi-aware.
> (2) while at thesame time researching full support and reporting back on
> progress in other areas - full bi-di aware applications and Xterm.

Note that Julius (?) mentioned that if a kludgy implementation exists,
there is less incentive to develop a good implemention.

Anyway, some people seem to think that such efforts are better directed at
a bidi support in e.g. ncurses (client-side bidi support). (And yes:
efforts wasted at writing emails are efforts not wasted. I know)

--
Tzafrir Cohen                        /"\
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign