On 26 Feb 2002, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> - some people produced analogies with luit, which to me seems to
>   imply a lack of understanding of what luit does (luit has *no* notion
>   of cursor position).  Unless I'm missing something, BiDi really
>   needs access to internal terminal emulator data.

I admit that I don't really know how luit work. I assume that it basically
works as an "output filter. In this case the following program should give
you a similar behaviour to "bidi luit":

http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir/R2L/

(requires fribidi)

Try to build it, and run:

  biditext xterm

>From my experince it is a bit worse than xterm/patch27 . Both produce
generally the same result when not editing text, but patch27 generally
allows you to edit the shell command-line (IIRC!) and some basic editing
in a full-screen program like pine (with biditext xterm I have to resort
to alternative editing methods and disabling of bidi faster and/or in more
cases)

(Technically biditext works by applying fribidi on the text of every call
to XDrawString. I believe that the result is basically an "output filter"
in the case of a terminal emulator". Note that this approach iss quite
hackish, and may not apply to other cases)

--
Tzafrir Cohen                        /"\
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign