Akber Choudhry wrote on 2002-02-25 15:16 UTC:
> 2. A bidi solution for the X Server is in the works  -based on Open/X CTL
> 3. Once (2) is complete, there will automatically be rudimentary support
> in Xterm for bidi.

Are you sure about (3)? Unless xterm has been completely rewritten since
I looked at the source last time, it does its complete own character
cell layout in the client and the addition of new output method would be
completely ignored by xterm.

It is hard to see, how any backwards compatible extension to the server
would give xterm "automatically rudimentary support for bidi".

I have seen here recently a lot of confusing discussion about xterm and
bidi that makes me wonder wheather we are really talking about the same
ancient terminal emulator here.

Markus