Nadim Shaikli wrote on 2002-02-28 23:48 UTC:
> What are your comments on mlterm, patch27, biditext (have you used 'em) ?

Can you send me a compact exact specification of the exact bidi
semantics of these implementations? I haven't seen one yet and I don't
have the time to reverse engineer these.

If "cat" works, this means nothing, as this just tests what the terminal
does when you send paragraphs with CRLF terminated lines to it and the
cursor is at the bottom of the screen. This tests only the most trivial
case of bidi functionality. I am far more worried about the sort of ESC
sequences that vim, readline, and ncurses use to talk to the terminal
and how they interact with the bidi. What does it mean to delete a
character in bidi mode (in which direction does it move and what happens
if it hits a bidi boundary), etc. Will it work with the tty cooked mode?

Forget about cat, think about editors, starting from the most primitive
ones.

Markus