Cool.  Some more reading ;-)

TK>   1. conventional 8bit
TK>      (8bit encodings are supported by changing fonts)
TK>   2. UTF-8
TK>      (UTF-8 is supported)
TK>   3. UTF-8 with luit
TK>      (various encodings are supported)

XTerm, as you know, can be configured to use either Render fonts or
core fonts.  For the foreseeable future, core still dominate.

The core fonts system has significant performance problems with
Unicode fonts.  Thus, when using core fonts, XTerm in 8-bit mode is
vastly faster and uses less resources than in UTF-8 mode.

I would therefore strongly recommend that ``medium'' mode should be
the default when using core fonts.  Feel free to make ``true'' the
default when using Render fonts.

                                        Juliusz

P.S. And please remember to bully Thomas into changing the XTerm
terminfo entry to use VT 220-style AC.