Nice work.  Just a few minor comments.

I would suggest modularising the parsing of the argument.  The
officially sanctioned way is to define a converter, say
CvtStringToTristate, and register it with Xt.  See lib/Xt/Converters.c
and man XtAppAddConverter(3x).  Or modularise it by hand (just putting
it in a separate function).

Why do you copy the argument into locale_string, rather than directly
doing a strcasecmp on the argument?

It looks like falling back to non-luit operation when luit fails is
implemented -- good.

Other than the above, I don't have any objections right now.

                                        Juliusz