Hi,

At Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:53:34 +0200 (CEST),
Bruno Haible wrote:

> The default should follow the locale settings. In detail:
>
>   - If MB_CUR_MAX == 1:
>
>     Look at the specified main font. If it is an 8-bit font,
>     use mode 1. Otherwise use mode 3.
>
>   - If MB_CUR_MAX > 1:
>
>     If nl_langinfo(CODESET) is "UTF-8", use mode 2.
>     Otherwise use mode 3.

I think your opinion is to use this algorithm for "medium" mode
and use this mode for default.

This algorithm is better because it does not hard-code any
locale names.  However, this algorithm does not work well for
Thai, for which I'd like to use "3. UTF-8 with luit" behavior.

Do you have any idea to include 8bit encodings which need
special processings such as combining?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/