Around 10 o'clock on Jul 7, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> I'm curious because I can't understand the differences between
> xc/lib/fontconfig/fc-lang/en.orth and
> xc/lib/fontconfig/fc-lang/fr.orth
>
> In particular I remember 00e1 (a acute/Ã)¡ but not00f1 (n tilda/Ã)
> from my French lessons.

(Are you sending text in UTF-8?)

The orthographies I built were taken from a source which attempted to
include every letter needed to write a particular language, even those
which might be only infrequently used.  For english, we have words
like:

        rôle, à la king, naïve

While the ascii-ification of english is pervasive, my Websters New World
Dictionary (not known for it's inclusiveness in general) still lists these
spellings as "native".

While I've never seen ñ in my limited exposure to French, I don't find it
impossible to believe that it occurs in some limited contexts, perhaps for
place names along the border with Spain?

The only questionable thing I believe I've done is to eliminate the OE
ligatures and Y with diaeresis from the French list -- those aren't in
Latin 1, and I wanted to permit Latin-1 fonts to be marked as supporting
French.

Note that none of this prohibits applications and users from explicitly
selecting a font which is inappropriate for their current locale or
document language -- explicit family names are now given greater weight
than language matching when selecting fonts.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab