Hi,

At Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:10:15 +0700,
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:

> I've been happily using Thai on XTerm with UTF-8 support. The only
> problem is that characters with length of more than one byte (in UTF-8)
> aren't deleted completely with a single backspace. Instead, only the last
> byte is removed, while the display shows that the total character, or
> even the total cell in case of multi-char cells, are removed. This
> results in inconsistency between what is shown on screen and what is
> stored in the buffer.

The "only last byte" is stored in the buffer in your shell, not in
XTerm.  Thus, XTerm is not responsible for this problem.

If you are using bash, please try version 2.05b .  This problem is
solved.  If you are using tcsh, this problem is solved only for
east Asian doublewidth characters but not for Thai.  zsh seems to
have no support for multibyte characters nor combinig/doublewidth
characters.

PS. The current CVS version of XTerm can handle combining characters
of Thai in TIS-620 encoding, by using CVS version of luit.  If you
have to run softwares with such problems, this may partly help you.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/