I think li18nux is related. So, let me cross-post.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:48:15PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> At Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:10:15 +0700,
> Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
>
> > I've been happily using Thai on XTerm with UTF-8 support. The only
> > problem is that characters with length of more than one byte (in UTF-8)
> > aren't deleted completely with a single backspace. Instead, only the last
> > byte is removed, while the display shows that the total character, or
> > even the total cell in case of multi-char cells, are removed. This
> > results in inconsistency between what is shown on screen and what is
> > stored in the buffer.
>
> The "only last byte" is stored in the buffer in your shell, not in
> XTerm.  Thus, XTerm is not responsible for this problem.
>
> If you are using bash, please try version 2.05b .  This problem is
> solved.  If you are using tcsh, this problem is solved only for
> east Asian doublewidth characters but not for Thai.  zsh seems to
> have no support for multibyte characters nor combinig/doublewidth
> characters.

$ dpkg -l bash
ii  bash           2.05b-3        The GNU Bourne Again SHell

Hmm.. Looks like it needs some additional configuration, because it
works properly on my friend's machine, but not on the one I'm using
(both are debian sid).

> PS. The current CVS version of XTerm can handle combining characters
> of Thai in TIS-620 encoding, by using CVS version of luit.  If you
> have to run softwares with such problems, this may partly help you.

Thank you. I will try it soon.

Then, here's the part I think li18nux is also related (sorry if this
has already been discussed):

With bash 2.05b (on the box that works for Thai), I find BACKSPACE
erases "the whole combined cell", e.g. "KO KAI + SARA II + MAI EK"
are all erased with a single BACKSPACE stroke.

I know this is what described in Unicode implementation guide. But it's
not what Thai people expect.

The common practice before Unicode (e.g. MS Windows, Solaris, and Thai
locally developed applications, which all follow WTT 2.0 recommendation)
is that BACKSPACE will undo the last keystroke, that is, just remove the
last combining character typed, not the whole cell. On the other hand,
pressing DELETE will remove the whole cell after the cursor.

So, with Unicode guideline, only half of the requirement is met (for
DELETE, but not for BACKSPACE).

And, according to a thread in gtk-i18n-list a year ago, some other
languages also have the similar requirement.

The thread beginning:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2001-May/msg00014.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2001-May/msg00020.html
With exception in Vietnamese telex mode:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2001-May/msg00032.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2001-May/msg00024.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2001-May/msg00037.html
And Tamil:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2001-May/msg00060.html
For Thai, a guy has created an illustration to describe the requirement:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2001-May/msg00066.html
A stateful solution proposed:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2001-May/msg00022.html

Should we discuss how to cope with it?