On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 06:11:47PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> At Wed, 2 Oct 2002 23:21:12 +0700,
> Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
>
> > This may look awkward for the definition of 0x08 to move back
> > inconsistently. But the situation can still be defined more gracefully
> > if we allow the cursor to stop at each combining character, and moving
> > left through a combined cell means moving through the combining
> > characters one by one to the base character before advancing to previous
> > cell. This implementation has been adopted by some locally-patched
> > terminal emulator, such as xiterm+thai (available in debian sid).
>
> This idea is inconsistent with already existing softwares, where
> cursor moves one column (half character) even when it moves across
> doublewidth characters.  There are also existing softwares which
> treats combining characters in this way (against your idea).
>
> I think your idea can be implemented to be enabled only when some
> option is specified.  However, in future, I think one internationalized
> software should work well for all people in the world.  To achieve
> this, terminal's behavior must be defined consistently.
>
> At least, definition of 0x08 must not be modified.  In this case,
> new control codes would be added for character-element-based
> movement of your idea.

Yes, you're right. These new control codes will not compromise any
requirement as in what I proposed.

Another possibility is that bash or any other shells be modified so that
they don't emit 0x08 in case of backspace upon combined cells.
Hmm.. This may be more sound.

-Thep.
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan