Kaixo!

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 07:32:21PM +0100, Jean-Marc Lienher wrote:

> ret = Xutf8LookupString(ic, event, buf, 20, &keysym, &status);
>
> if (ret == 0 && keysym & 0xFF000000 == 0x01000000) {
>       ret = unicode_to_utf8(keysym - 0x01000000, buf);
> }

I'm a bit surprized by that... aren't all keysyms between 0x01000000
and 0x0100ffff valid unicode values ? and as such, aren't all of
them encodable in utf-8 ?

If yes, how could it be possible that Xutf8LookupString() returns 0 ?
(and apparently, it is the case that some valid unicode values don't
return utf-8 strings, I've the case with 0x1000020 to 0x100007f for
example; they should return the same thing as keysyms 0x20 to 0x7f,
but they don't)

Isn't that a bug in itself ?

Korean also has a problem, as the Hangul_* keysyms should return the
equivalent utf-8 strings, shouldn't it ?

> > This XIM server will use the Yudit tables to enter any Unicode
> > character using an normal US keyboard. (It will be released under
> > the GPL).

yudit also has the ability to use traditionnal XIMs (like kinput, xcin, etc)
and XKB, trough a very simple configuration (giving two parameters,
the name of the XIM (value for XMODIFIERS="@im=xxxx") and the value of the
lcoale to use when connecting with that XIM.
Then a simple menu allows selecting any of the various input methods
defined, either yudit "native" tables, either X server input methods.

It would be wonderful if an XIM with similar features existed (that is,
not only using the yudit tables, but also the ability to easily switch on
the fly to any X input method), that would solve what is imho currently
the biggest problem of XFree86 (and one of the most frustrating, as now
there is UTF-8 support but it's not possible to fully take advantage of
it for the input)

Thanks

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.stben.be/pablo/           PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]