Kaixo!

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:54:20PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>       For years the fr keyboard in xfree86 was broken and painful to use (I
> can elaborate a *lot* more if anyone's interested).

Well, you should indeed elaborate a bit... I haven't seen anything wrong
with the standard "fr" keyboard for ages.

It follows the standard layout, that is, it behaves the same as in other
operating systems. It defines what is actually printed on the keys of
real keyboards as available in French stores.

> the francophones-howto aka the french-howto)

The layouts listed there are often non-standard; they may be usefull,
they may be preferred layouts by some people, but they are not standard.
It may be interesting to add it to standard XFree86 distribution, but it
should imho be labelled as "French keyboard", but instead something
like "Alternate French keyboard" or "Extended French keyboard".
There are differences.

Also, all references to "latin9" should be removed; an X11 keyboard
layout is independent of any charset encoding.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/          PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]