Le ven 13/12/2002 à 03:35, David Dawes a écrit :
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 08:59:51PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >Le jeu 12/12/2002 à 13:54, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :
> >> (re-send after actually finishing subscribing to the list, sorry about this)
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>    For years the fr keyboard in xfree86 was broken and painful to use (I
> >> can elaborate a *lot* more if anyone's interested). It even sparked the
> >> creation of a very complete howto detailling how anyone needing to work
> >> in X everyday could replace it with a version that actually worked ( ie
> >> the francophones-howto aka the french-howto)
> >>
> >>    This layout was merged in kbd.
> >>
> >>    Unfortunately it has also been broken by recent changes in xfree cvs
> >
> >In fact I fixed my setup by moving the layout definition from
> >/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc
>
> Can you point out an example or two of the differences between the two?
> The symbols/pc version should be a version of the previous one that's
> suitable for multi-layout use.
>
> >What would it take to get this layout merged ?
>
> The best way would be to provide it in a format that fits in with the
> multi-layout symbols definitions in symbols/pc.

I posted a reworked layout at :

http://mapage.noos.fr/nmailhot/fr-latin9-pc

(the original layout is available at :
http://mapage.noos.fr/nmailhot/fr-latin9)

Basically I took the xfree fr layout and modified it till it matched the
layout I wanted. While doing this I tweaked a bit the original fr-latin9
layout (matched euro and cent with fr, removed duplicate guillemots to
add doublequotemarks). I didn't change much since this is a very
well-thought design and there is little room for improvements.

This layout do not depend on pc/latin ; in fact there is quite a bit of
overlapping, but there is almost no key where all the four symbols
match. So I dumped the latin include ; and I see no point of defining a
new latin core that will be only used by this layout.

All the original fr-latin9 part that defined <F1> <F2> and so on was
dumped.

When in doubt, I used the Xfree definitions (I let the original latin9
lines as comments, please tell me if I can remove them)

I didn't include the french design comments on top of the file ; however
since they are pretty good and users of this layout are expected to
speak french I hope they can be included in the final version.

It works as-is ; I declared it as an azerty but I really don't know if
it matters. Please tell me if this is suitable for inclusion, so I'll
only have to ask Guylhem to un-GPL it.

--
Nicolas Mailhot