Hi,

> >From what you say ... I can forget KeySyms above 4 ... as the
> XLookupString does not allow to access them ...
Yes.

> The XLOCALEDIR is also a problem ... I would need to "replace" the whole
> set of locales
Why?  You need to copy the locales you really use.  I don't think you use
all of over 50 locales that XFree has.

> ... would it work with XFree86 3.3.6 at all ?
Yes.

> ... it should, however, work with standalone XTerminals, shouldn't it ?
Yes.  The whole compose processing works on the client side machine and doesn't
depend on the Xserver you use.

> What remains then is the XKB ...
> I must say that I looked at it ... and it seems to be really complicated
> ... does it also work with XFree86 3.3.x ?
Yes.

> ... I can forget standalone XTerminals, can't I ?
Yes, unfortunately.

> To me, it seems that (as in the case of XLOCALEDIR) I would need to define
> my own whole set of keyboards ... again ... I could not find any simple
> solution to "merge" my own set of definitions with these that were
> "loaded" when the Xserver was started ...

Maybe a solution for you could be an utility that allow to reload xmodmap
maps quickly when you are working.  In such case you use a few four-columns
maps but can switch among them quickly using hotkeys.  And if such switcher
uses the core protocol (what xmodmap does) it works even with Xterminals.

I'd suggest you to try xruskb ( ftp://ftp.yars.free.net/pub/software/unix/X11/ )
It does the things I'm talking about.
--
 Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University