Hi,
Again, many thanks ...

> Why?  You need to copy the locales you really use.  I don't think you
> use all of over 50 locales that XFree has.

Well, that's almost right ...
The point is ... I don't really know which of them I will use ...
Wherever I go ... I get a "computer" to work (it might sometimes be a
standalone XTerminal, though) ... and the system on this "computer" is not
maintained by me ...
moreover ... i must often use "guest/group" accounts ...
that means ... I cannot make "big" changes in the setup ...
thus ... all the (LANG) settings should be as they are ...
I need to "inherit" all settings (including the LANG and keyboard
settings) from the "default system/account settings" ... whatever they are
then ... I want to "merge" my own settings ...

(BTW. that's also why I find the XKB solution impractical ... I would need
to keep an "almost" full set of keyboard definitions ... up to 4.4.x)

> Yes.  The whole compose processing works on the client side machine and
> doesn't depend on the Xserver you use.

Thanks, now I think I understand the problem better ...
Each machine that runs any xapplication would have to get the same
modified "locales" ...
This makes the thing not really practical for me (I often start
xapplications on different machines under different userids) ...
I think I need to concentrate on a solution which is working on the
server side and is independent of the "client operating system" ...

> I'd suggest you to try xruskb

Many thanks for this tip ...
I will try to investigate it ...
This seems to be a neat solution ...
(At least ... up to the moment when people start to use the 4.4.x ...
and I will be able to set .XCompose file ... :-)

Best regards,
Jacek.