Hi,

> Basically, I cannot see how can you have a portable
> one-definition-fits-all keymap if such things change (keycodes and
> layout of the keyboard).

Have a look at this mail :

Ivan U. Pascal explains there the new .XCompose and $XCOMPOSEFILE
implemented in the 4.4.x :
        1. one can use - include "%L" - to include the DEFAULT 'common'
           Compose file ( <xlocaledir>/<locale name>/Compose )
        2. then one can modify these rules using, for example, something
           like this - "<dead_grave> <A> : Agrave" - note here that you
           don't need to specify the code of this letter - it will be
           taken according the the current locale ...
That I think makes it quite independent of the keyboard layout (well, I
basically always use a keyboard which has west-european-ascii characters
on it, plus some local language specific characters, so this is fine for me).
The problem with this solution might be - it's an Xlib solution, not an
Xserver one - again - all machines that run my xapplications would need to
get the same .XCompose file (and have the Xlib coming from 4.4.x ...)

For the time being I see no XServer based solution which would give the
same as the one described above ...

Best regards,
Jacek.