"Jacek M. Holeczek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> (BTW. that's also why I find the XKB solution impractical ... I would need
> to keep an "almost" full set of keyboard definitions ... up to 4.4.x)

You can simply produce the keymap with "setxkbmap <options-blah-blah>
-print", and piping that to xkbcomp.

Use some output options (-xkb, -xkm, -o), and then just carry that
file with you, and load it to the server whenever you get there --
it's a complete definition; though, it will probably have some
portability issues (when keycodes are not the same as when you
produced it).

Basically, I cannot see how can you have a portable
one-definition-fits-all keymap if such things change (keycodes and
layout of the keyboard).

> I think I need to concentrate on a solution which is working on the
> server side and is independent of the "client operating system" ...

I think you can use dead keys for the most common stuff (they're
combining characters), and put the remaining symbols you usually use
on third and fourth level. If XKB extension is available on most
places, this might turn out to be a nice solution for you.

Cheers,
Danilo