Had another stab at this here : http://cr.i3wm.org/patch/566

Special mentions:
In src/manage.c sending in NULL when "Defer setting focus after the
'new' event" is done feels wrong, but I'm frankly not sure if that
comment matches the con_set_urgency below it. It's resetting a urgency
flag here if one is "lost"? Maybe sending in WM_HINTS is the right
thing to do? Or maybe sending WM_HINTS/etc is generally stupid, and it
should be one reason called "window_event_change" and another one for
"focus_blocked"?

Disclaimer : I've been a dev for a long time, but I haven't done
anything in C for ages, so the code might be rubish. If I'm told that
and you decide to do this in a much cleaner way, I will not have my
feelings hurt ;)

Gonna have a stab at fixing the Xdummy stuff now.

--
Mvh
Anders Aagaard