In a recent note, R.S. said:

> Date:         Fri, 13 May 2005 14:49:53 +0200
>
> 256 bytes ?
> IMHO it is not worth to change from 100 to 256. Many "should be enough"
> limits occured much too short.
> BTW: I know *existing* OS/390 application using more than 256 bytes in
> PARM. It is c89 compiler. I vaguely recollect, it creates "pseudo job"
> for compilation, this job looks like regular JCL, but all the compiler
> options are in PARM field (many LINES of PARM) and that's why it is
> circumvented in some way. I don't remember details, but the need is obvious.

As you note, it's a "pseudo job", so no circumvention is necessary.
The compiler is invoked by an ATTACH macro; the JCL is never executed.

> Personally I vote for
> //STEP   EXEC ... PARMX=ddname
> //DDNAME DD *
> put here as much as you want (i.e. 64k)
> /*
>
> Or (good for PROCLIB)
> PARMX1='       ',
> PARMX2='        '
> etc.

Then what?  "EXEC whatever,PARM=(&PARMX1,&PARMX2)"?  The constructed
PARM string is still subject to the 100 character limit.

Thinking on the idea of a Binder option to declare the ability
of a program to accept a long PARM, there are a couple alternatives:

o A PARMLIB option, allowing each installation to select what
  the JCL and TSO CALL PARM string limit should be.  Any site
  could specify, 100, 255, 65535, or even a value less than 100
  if that suited them.

o A RACF privilege class identifying the set of users (none, some,
  or all) permitted to use long PARM strings in JCL or in TSO CALL.

Otherwise, I wonder how the PARM is represented while a job is in
the input queue?  Does it reside in a control block?  Is the
structure of that block documented as a programming interface?
Is there a hazard of other breakage if it changes?

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL