Personally, I don't usually care a great deal if the VTOCIX is right up
against the VTOC & VVDS. I prefer it, but it only affects pack
fragmentation. So, for a "temp fix", I would do:

1) V SMS,VOL(......),Q,NEW
2) ICKDSF "BUILDIX DDNAME(......) OSVTOC"
3) Delete the IXVTOC
4) Realloc the IXVTOC with CONTIG
5) ICKDSF "BUILDIX DDNAME(......) IXVTOC"

I have also been known to QUINEW the volume (as in #1 above), then use
DFDSS (you'd use FDR) to try to copy all the DSNs off of the volume.
Another thought is to try to force the IXVTOC to allocate at the very
end of the volume. The exact location is not very relevant WRT
performance with a Shark. Just with "volume fragmentation".

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.