"Juraschek, David F" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> If IBM can devote the time and attention to releases of the OS, one would
> think that they are capable of fixing this problem - a long, long time
ago
> when they were first aware of it.
>
> Doesn't this bother anyone else but me?

Well, I'm glad you brought this up.  Apparently you haven't read the
section "Closing Data Sets" in the DFSMS "Using Data Sets" manual which has
said for many, many years:

"When you issue a temporary or a permanent CLOSE macro, VSAM updates the
data set's catalog records. If your program ends with an abnormal end
(ABEND) without closing a VSAM data set the data set's catalog records are
not updated, and contain inaccurate statistics. "

It has been this way since the very beginning of time for VSAM.  This is
because many of the blocks that contain VSAM information are in the user
key (since record management needs to access and change them), and on an
abnormal termination there is no way to determine that those values are
correct - they could have been overlaid by a user program.  This includes
information about extents that exist, RBA ranges, index levels,
configuration information about the data set, etc.  Would you prefer that
we blindly write out the data and break your data set?  I suppose not, so
we don't.  The statistics are also a by-product of this.

Even though the statistics have never been updated since the beginning of
VSAM for an abnormal termination, the issue has apparently NEVER COME UP
because prior to this IDCAMS did not flag the statistics as invalid.  Only
when we did (as a warning to the user community), did people start to
realize "oh my gosh, this data is BAD!".   Most of the users have said "oh
cool, that's why my numbers don't match".  However there's another group of
people that still want to use this invalid data to make business decisions.
They don't care the numbers are invalid, they want to use them.  Even if
they're orders of magnitude off (and in some cases they are). If you can
give me a rational explanation for that decision it would help me sleep at
night.  We thought telling them the data was invalid would be enlightening
- apparently it wasn't.

Until VSAM record management has the ability to protect the control blocks
from user overlays (which means running in a different key), this problem
cannot be fixed.  That's a goal we're working towards, but it's going to
take a while to do.  It's a very simple problem called "resources".  On the
grand scale of problems, invalid statistics are pretty close to the bottom
of the list.    Realize that NONE of the data management access methods
have recovery, or blocks that are protected.  It's been that way for
performance reasons since the beginning.

Because of that small group of people that wanted the numbers (even though
they were invalid) we have changed the output and now list the numbers
(APAR OA11927) with the indication they're invalid.  What comfort these
invalid numbers will give people is unknown, but because they wanted the
invalid data, they've now got it.

Thanks,
Mark Thomen
Catalog/IDCAMS/VSAM Development