On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 20:33 -0300, Clark Morris wrote:
> Guess what?  While we may not like it, Sun, HP etc. are reliable
> enough for most things.  There are people in the Unix/Linux world who
> brag about the number of months between reboots.

A point well worth repeating.  A few years ago I had a brochure website
hosted on a HP Netserver running under FreeBSD.  It had two years of
consecutive uptime before we lost power in a planned outage.  (My site
~almost~ made Netcraft's list of longest-running sites on the 'net.  At
the time #100 had 800 or so days of uptime.)

The moral is that even five years ago, with commodity hardware and a
static application, you could have decent reliability.  With failover
capabilities, compartmentalized virtual machines, load balancing and
other goodies, the commodity guys are encroaching upon what was formerly
our territory.

(Not that a properly configured business system made out of commodity
parts is cheaper than one powered by zSeries.  But they have the
advantage of a ridiculously low price to get a foot in the door, an
advantage that P'keepsie doesn't have the will to match.)

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.