Leonard Woren wrote:

[1] I discovered that OS/2 was dead when one of my SCSI HDs failed and a friend suggested "Forget SCSI, just get a big IDE disk to
replace all your SCSI disks."  Turns out that OS/2 can't be installed
on IDE disks > 4 GB.  And don't bother to tell me about alternate
drivers and hacks and whatever.

I don't want to bother you, but this problem is just fixed. There are PTFs for that.

The same problem exist when you want to install/run z/OS 1.4 on z/990 machine. You need Exploitation Support (FMID + PTFs) for that.
IMHO z/OS is not completely dead

BTW: Similar problem existed with Win 3.1 (no support for drives over 512MB in '32-bit mode'), it was BEFORE Win95 came to market.

Similar problems existed with Novell NetWare, good system, well supported. There was a need to download new disk drives.

IMHO bad diagnoze, despite of OS/2 death.
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland