Kenneth J. Kripke wrote on 09/21/2005 08:08:40 AM:

> Question: Is there a way to capture the results of an IP WHERE from
> a REXX EXEC
> running under IPCS and store it in a REXX variable?
> I don't think the command uses PUTLINE to put the message out, but, I
could be
> wrong.
> The Goal: Go through a SYSTRACE and parse out the trace entries of
interest,
> then do IP WHERES on the PSW addresses to get the displacements in the
> modules.  Generate side by side listing of trace entry, psw address,
> r15, r0, r1 and
> the module name and displacement.

If you want to capture and analyze the results of an IPCS subcommand like
WHERE or SYSTRACE, the traditional answer is the one suggested by Don
Poitras.

(1)  Allocate a print file.  If you're writing the EXEC to support others
who may use ddname IPCSPRNT for their own purposes, use another ddname and
employ the CLOSE and OPEN subcommands to identify that ddname as a target.

(2) Have the subcommand write its output there.

(3) Close the print file.  Reopen IPCSPRNT, positioned to the end, if the
EXEC preempted the print file destination.

(4) Use REXX to read through the output.

If you're planning to be running z/OS V1R7 soon, look at whether the REPORT
primary command that the release introduces is a reasonable substitute.
REPORT has a number of capabilities, one of which is to look at lines in a
report, e.g. SYSTRACE, that has been captured by IPCS.  Another ability is
to format a newer report that would be nested in front of the other report.
We tried to anticipate the most common applications of this capability,
e.g. look at a report on the screen before directing it to a print file.
"REPORT IPCSPRNT" gets that job done.  What you'd use, assuming it met your
needs would be "REPORT %myroutine".

Bob Wright - z/OS MVS Service Aids